Friday, August 21, 2015

Remove and prevent Windows 8 apps from installing on new profiles

Using Windows 8 in a network environment is annoying.  Its a decent OS, I mean, it works fine enough.  But the fact that it auto installs apps for every user is annoying to say the least.  Every time a new person logs into the computer it sets up a bunch of news and food apps that use the network.
Uninstalling them from a specific user account is easy enough, simply right click the tile and remove.  But the next person that logs in gets all the apps again... Until I found this gem of the internet:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Remove-All-Pre-Installed-Windows-8-Metro-Apps-328110.shtml

Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage –online

Log in with a new user, it'll do the "Hi...... lets get started...." etc etc, but it won't install any apps.

Combine this with Go to the Desktop instead of Start (go to desktop, right click task bar, Properties, Navigation, check "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop.") and you have a pretty normal windows OS.

Updates:
You have to run powershell as admin.
This also works in Windows 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Samsung refrigerator not making ice

How I got my stupid fridge to work again. Normally, I press/hold the blue button till it chimes. Well that didn’t work this time. Darn. I re...