Thursday, October 31, 2013

Dell 9020 3 displays

I have a customer that would like 3 monitors, for whatever reason.
The Dell 9020 is capable of this, and this is how I got it to work.
No additional video cards.
Using VGA and both display ports.
The customer has VGA monitors (as opposed to DVI)
So first, I bought two displayport to VGA cables:



I found it cheaper on their website: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024609&p_id=6019&seq=1&format=2

Its running the latest BIOS (A03) and the intel 4600 video driver from Dell:
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/optiplex-9020-desktop?driverId=1PRMJ&osCode=W864&fileId=3281932246&languageCode=en&categoryId=VI
No other changes were done in BIOS.

I had originally tried to use a PCI dual monitor card and the on-board, but this wasn't possible.  So I had to remove the display driver and reinstall the Intel driver.  After the reboot it worked and I now have display on all three.

Tada ( I tried to get the monitors cables and computer in the same pic)

14 comments:

  1. AWESOME! This worked perfectly. We have been messing around with this for a couple of days and didn't just try to plug up 3 monitors. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet, I'm glad I could help. I often forget real people read this thing haha.

      Delete
  2. the links you put up are inactive. Care to share them again please? I would very much like to connect a 3rd screen to my 9020

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Updated. Not sure why the go to link changed to blogger.com/null... weird.

      Delete
  3. THANKS A MILLION! Without that driver, this would have not been possible. Funny its older than the one I replaced too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'am trying your solution !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really works, but i just use 2 monitors ! Thank you so so much for figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have several users with this configuration, but have recently realized a problem. Periodically, the monitor connected via VGA will not wake up after having been to sleep. A reboot returns it to use, but it will likely do the same thing in the near future. Does anyone know why this would happen and what I can do to fix it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had this happen on a few that are just using dual monitors using the VGA and the single display port or HDMI port depending on the model of tower. Dell 3010s and 3020s. I haven't really looked into why its happening because its been so sporadic, here's hoping they don't all fail at once :)

      Delete
  7. So that needs to be done for the 3 monitors to work, is download the drivers from the above link, install and restart the computer and that should work? You don't have to enable anything else, anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its been a while since I've done this, but I believe that was it. Flash BIOS and windows will see all three monitors.

      Delete
  8. Hi -- writing on June 3 2020 and your post is still helpful! I am considering buying a used 9020 and will be running Linux Mint. Do you think I would be successful? I have considered the PCI option you mention but as you indicate that wasn't an option per your testing of it. Thanks! -Allen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Linux. I'm more an Ubuntu fan myself.
      As far as the three screens, it should work since it was a bios setting and not a windows driver issue. Let me know what you find out!

      Delete

Getting RTL8812au passed to Virtualbox VM (Ubuntu)

There are no guarantees, I just write these notes so I can come back to them. First, get the dongle working on the host OS. After going thro...