Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Xerox Workcentre not pingable by Hostname

Requested Host Name is not verified, have you seen this on your Xerox WorkCentre?
Well I finally got this working.

In my environment, I have assigned all my printers a static IP address, which is then shared through a print server, I know, revolutionary right?
In the near future we'll be going through a re-IP, so my static assignments aren't going to work. On all my other printers (HP, Ricoh, Brother) I was able to add a host name, ping the host name, and share the printer via a port based on that hostname instead of the IP. Now I can put that printer into DHCP, ready for the re-ip.

The Xerox did not want to play. And the kicker, the Xerox printers aren't in the office I'm in. So I was afraid to go DHCP and lose connection.
Luckily I work with some pretty smart people, and it was suggested I put a reservation for the device based on its MAC. Brilliant.
So I did that, went to DHCP, success. It pulled the right address and I was connected. The other cool part is the Host Name verified.
Ping test? success!

This re-IP might not be that bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Samsung refrigerator not making ice

How I got my stupid fridge to work again. Normally, I press/hold the blue button till it chimes. Well that didn’t work this time. Darn. I re...