Friday, April 19, 2013

Excel: the file is corrupt and cannot be opened

I take 0 credit in this post, it is complete and utter rip from here:
http://www.ablebits.com/office-addins-blog/2011/11/30/excel-open-corrupt-files/
If you get this error:

The file is corrupt and cannot be opened in Excel 2010
  1. Open the application.
  2. Click on File -> Options.
  3. Select Trust Center and press the Trust center settings button.
    title=
  4. Pick Protected view.
  5. Uncheck all the options under Protected View and confirm by pressing OK.
  6. Restart Excel and try to open the broken Excel documents.

Back to my words.
This worked for me recently when a user couldn't open a document that everyone else could.  I tried opening and resaving the document, tried opening from different locations.  Different users saved it for her and sent it, nothing worked.  I found this gem at http://www.ablebits.com/office-addins-blog/2011/11/30/excel-open-corrupt-files/ and was able to resolve the issue.

Thanks again Ablebits!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Samsung refrigerator not making ice

How I got my stupid fridge to work again. Normally, I press/hold the blue button till it chimes. Well that didn’t work this time. Darn. I re...