Tuesday, March 10, 2015

WDS capture, windows failed to start 0xc000000f

I'm trying to capture an image using WDS.
I went through the proper steps of creating a boot image and then a capture image.
The Boot image loads fine, the capture image results in this screen:
WDS is running on fully patched (as of 3/10/2015) server 2012 R2

After searching the internet and finding a number of people have this issue, some referring to KB2919355, I finally found a fix that worked.
(If you are wondering, no, removing KB2919355 and reinstalling WDS did not work for me.)

I used DISM to mount and unmount the capture image.  I created a "MountDir" folder on the same drive as the rest of the boot files.  In red are the variables for whatever you called your capture image.wim and wherever you want to mount it to.

C:\>dism /mount-wim /wimfile:C:\RemoteInstall\Boot\x64\Images\capture_x64.wim /mountdir:C:\MountDir /index:1

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Mounting image
[==========================100.0%==========================]
The operation completed successfully.

C:\>dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:C:\MountDir /commit

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Image File : C:\RemoteInstall\Boot\x64\Images\capture_x64.wim
Image Index : 1
Saving image
[==========================100.0%==========================]
Unmounting image
[==========================100.0%==========================]
The operation completed successfully.


And that's it.  Mount it, do nothing to it, unmount it saving 'changes' and viola.  You can now boot to the capture image.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Samsung refrigerator not making ice

How I got my stupid fridge to work again. Normally, I press/hold the blue button till it chimes. Well that didn’t work this time. Darn. I re...