Tuesday, March 24, 2015

WDS completes, no boot device on startup.

F1 to retry

You know the error screen.

Situation:
Dell Latitude e7440, solid state drive
Came with windows 8, used WDS to put vanilla W7.
W7 completes, but doesn't boot.

I went into BIOS, secure boot was disabled
UEFI was enabled, changed to legacy and it booted right up.

Also, with these e7440, I've been moving the SSD into the MSATA port.  I had an issue with one of the first e7440 that was losing the regular SATA connection, randomly.  I'd get the system and it would boot up, everything would be fine, I'd send it back to the user, it wouldn't work again.  The back panel is kind of flimsy, so I can only assume he was holding it toward the top, or the docking station was pressing against the cable causing the hard drive connection to come loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Samsung refrigerator not making ice

How I got my stupid fridge to work again. Normally, I press/hold the blue button till it chimes. Well that didn’t work this time. Darn. I re...