Wednesday, May 27, 2015

DNS not routing to forwarder in Forward Lookup Zones

I recently had an instance where the server name contained dashes only.
I configured an lookup zone and A record like I do with many other sites, but this one wouldn't work.
Ping name-name couldn't be found.

After some Googling, I determined DNS was seeing the name as a single label name.
I also found out WINS used to handle situations like this (no running WINS server on my network)
But Microsoft offers a solution for server 2008 and above called GlobalNames

I will put the scripts I ran in Powershell here, at the bottom are the pages I pulled the information from, their pages contain GUI instructions.

dnscmd servername /config /Enableglobalnamessupport 1 (you will do this step on all servers running DNS, cool thing about powershell is you can do it all from this one prompt, just up arrow, change the server name and hit enter.)
dnscmd servername /ZoneAdd GlobalNames /DsPrimary /DP /forest

At this point you can go into your DNS manager GUI (Start>Admin tools>DNS) go to your Forward Lookup Zone and find GlobalNames.
Right Click
New Host (A or AAA)
Enter the name (it will show up name.globalnames)
Enter IP address (remove checkmark in create associated pointer (PTR) record)

done.

I had to flush dns (ipconfig /flushdns) and I reran the 'enableglobalnamessupport 1' on a couple servers running DNS after creating the A record.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Samsung refrigerator not making ice

How I got my stupid fridge to work again. Normally, I press/hold the blue button till it chimes. Well that didn’t work this time. Darn. I re...