Thursday, May 12, 2016

Unable to expand the Folder Pane in Outlook 2016

Environment: Windows 7 64bit running Office 2016 apps.
Outlook 2016

Having trouble expanding the Folder Pane (the left pane) in Outlook 2016?
I was.
I was able to slide it to the left, making it smaller (minimized view) but wasn't able to expand it right so I could read everything.
If you're having this issue...
Try changing the Reading Pane to Bottom or Off. Can you adjust the Folder Pane now? I was able to. I put the Reading Pane back to the right and its allowing me to expand the Folder Pane still, weird.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks. It is becuase the reading pane seems to have a minimimum width, and if you expand the folder pane it scrunches up the reading pane. With the reading pane on the right, you can first expand the reading page (pull the border to the left), then you can expand the folder page (pull the border to the right). That will then shrink the reading pane again, but you will not be shrinking it past its minimum width, so Outlook will let you do that. I only figured this out after reading your tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that the space between the folder pane and the message list suddenly looked a lot wider!
    Before, the unread count was always much closer to the folder names, and much of the intervening space wasn't there.
    You might think, well, just drag the divider left. It doesn't go any further. I want to make the pane smaller but it doesn't work in any ways.
    any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I haven't seen what you're seeing, have you checked zoom settings? All the new laptops I've been getting have a default 150-200% zoom by default that screws with how things display.

      Delete

Samsung refrigerator not making ice

How I got my stupid fridge to work again. Normally, I press/hold the blue button till it chimes. Well that didn’t work this time. Darn. I re...