Monday, June 12, 2017

Optiplex 3040 no boot devices found

I got a nice new Dell computer and shipped it out to a user. After a couple months
No boot devices found...
FML

So I had the user send it in to check it out. Data was on the drive. Swapped drive with a clean drive and loaded my windows 7 image to it.
It ran through the image, rebooted.

No boot devices found....
weird.

I took the drive out of my computer and put it in the 3040 case.

No boot devices found...

what the duck?

Put the drive back in my computer. Boots fine.

Double what the duck!

Talked with dell support and they sent me a new drive preloaded with one of their  images. Popped that badboy in, boots like a charm. Issue fixed yay!

So I reimage the drive with the corporate image...

No boot devices found.
Time to throw it in the trash...

But there's more!

After farting around with it for a couple months, and the Dell tech going no contact, I finally figured it out.
I set BIOS boot setting to legacy instead of UEFI.

Imaged drive loads! Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Samsung refrigerator not making ice

How I got my stupid fridge to work again. Normally, I press/hold the blue button till it chimes. Well that didn’t work this time. Darn. I re...