Monday, February 11, 2013

Outlook 2010 unable to view free/busy information, and my outlook 'Fix All'

If you work in a corporate IT help desk, you've probably seen this one.
(Before you read any further, check to see if the account is in cached exchange mode, remove that checkmark if they are and restart Outlook, sometimes that clears it up.)
When a user goes to the scheduling assistant and puts in another users name, they see a grey bar full of slashes.
Googling "no free busy outlook 2010" or any other clever way you decide to search it, brings up a number of different solutions.  Many seemed to be server configuration side when I searched.  If you work in help desk like I do, you probably don't have access to these kinds of system settings.  And honestly none of it makes sense to me anyway.
Well after searching for a while, and having nothing work, I did my "fix all" for Outlook as a last shot in the dark.  And it worked, the user could see other people's free and busy schedules in calendar.
This was all done on a machine running Outlook 2010 and Windows 7.  So my directions will reflect this.
First, I removed the Exchange account from Outlook.
First, close Outlook.  Then go to the Control Panel, then Email, Select the user's exchange account and remove it.
That's step one, easy peasy
Next, you're going to want to remove the .ost file, which is the local store of the emails on the server, this could be completely wrong, but its how I understand it.  Either way, opening outlook after removing the .ost will rebuild the .ost file, so we aren't losing any data here.  MAKE SURE NOT TO DELETE .PST FILES, this will probably put you in hot water.  The .pst files are offline files users use for archiving.
The location is as follows:
C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
It's safe to delete everything but the .pst files in this folder.
Don't delete the .pst.
See the .pst files?  Don't delete those.
Once that folder is all cleared out, go back to Mail in Control Panel and add the account.
Open outlook and let everything sync up.  Once that is done check the Free/Busy. 

This is what worked for me.

This also works for just about any "WTF is outlook doing?" issues.  Going slow, missing folders that are available on the web access, attachments aren't opening or going slow, but other MS office products are working fine, etc, etc etc.

Update:
Still not showing free/busy info?
Then it might be related to autodiscover, this is how I ended up forcing the connection and getting free/busy to populate:
Go into the connection tab of the email account
(file>account settings>account settings>double click account>more settings>connection>check Exchange Proxy Settings>enter your OWA address information)
I then selected the check marks for both:
On fast networks, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP
On slow networks, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP
The way we are setup, this left everything checked on the Exchange Proxy Settings page.

If you have a better way, let me know and I'll include it here.


4 comments:

  1. My emails are missing. It is saying it can't find the PST. What did I do wrong?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you work in IT, claim a virus attack.
    If you're not in IT, it was probably a virus attack.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried all of this but still nothing via HTTP, only shows free/busy times if I'm connected to the VPN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, are you able to see the free/busy information when logging into the OWA? The only thing I see I didn't include was a full removal of the outlook profile, you could give that a shot.

    ReplyDelete

Samsung refrigerator not making ice

How I got my stupid fridge to work again. Normally, I press/hold the blue button till it chimes. Well that didn’t work this time. Darn. I re...