Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Red X in outlook, already went through all the standard fixes...

Environment:
Windows 7
Outlook 2007


So you have these in Outlook:


The good old "can't see shit" red x.

You've probably gone through the Trust Center, to make sure "Don't download pictures automatically in HTML email messages..." box is UNCHECKED.

You've probably already opened a new message, clicked the office icon and gone to editor options>Advanced and made sure Show picture placeholders is unchecked.

You may have even gone to the registry and made sure the Secure Temp folder is both A. not full, and B. has the correct path.  (By the way, that key in W7/Outlook 2007 is: HKCU>Software>Microsoft>Office>12.0>Outlook>Security)

Have you check IE LAN settings to make sure Auto Detect is checked?  Stupid right?  I checked that too...  none of this did anything for me.

Have you read how Outlook doesn't handle https images correctly, resulting in red x's?  I read that too.  If you've done all this, you probably read the same forum article I did.  And the fix that finally worked was nestled toward the end.

!!!!!!!!!THE FIX!!!!!!!!!

What it ended up being was an IE setting.
Under Security, remove the checkmark in Do not save encrypted pages to disk


Thank you Mr. dajonline.  You're a life saver.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Samsung refrigerator not making ice

How I got my stupid fridge to work again. Normally, I press/hold the blue button till it chimes. Well that didn’t work this time. Darn. I re...