Friday, October 17, 2014

Taking down old DNS server ends the internet...

Situation:
Moving from 2003 to 2012 servers.
Multiple DCs running DNS
Shut down the last 2003 DC, all DNS fails.

Final DC was running the proxy server.  Turned off service, internet still worked.
Turned off DNS, internet stops working.

Turns out the other DNS servers weren't relying on the root hints, they forwarding traffic to one server that no longer exists, along with the last 2003 DC running DNS.

To view this, go to your Fowarders, DNS Manager>Click the server under DNS>Forwarders tab.  Similar to how you get to your root hints (http://randomcomputerjunkbyalex.blogspot.com/2013/05/updating-root-hints-on-dns-server.html)
Edit and remove old servers from here.

Note:  I had the checkmark in Use Root hints if no forwarders are available, but it still didn't use the root hints when the old 2003 server was offline.  DNS just stopped working.

Well, if I hope this helps someone out there.  I don't want to believe I'm THAT bad at computering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Samsung refrigerator not making ice

How I got my stupid fridge to work again. Normally, I press/hold the blue button till it chimes. Well that didn’t work this time. Darn. I re...