Friday, February 22, 2019

Virtualbox 6.x Ubuntu 18 and Auto Resize Guest Display

Hello,
I use Ubuntu in a VirtualBox machine as my primary web browser. My host OS is Windows 10. (I should probably swap this around, but whatever) After my 1803 update, virtual box crashed pretty frequently. At the time I was on one of the 5.x versions because it was stable. After the update and even 5.x being unstable, I went to 6.x
And by unstable, I mean the VMs refusing to load, getting error messages to reinstall virtual box, and even then then wouldn't load. Even new VMs would fail to load after installing Ubuntu.

So, I got 6.x working semi ok. I would get memory crashes of the VM, but I was able to restart. (Instruction at 0x... reference memory at 0x...) However, the video driver was being a pain. It wouldn't auto resize, and installing software would crash the display, reverting to 800x600.

To fix this, I tried more and less cpu cores, increased and decreased video memory, enabled and disabled 3d acceleration. None of this worked by the way.

I changed the graphics controller to VboxVGA and auto resizing was fixed.
And so far, it hasn't has a memory crash for the past hour, I will update if that comes back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Samsung refrigerator not making ice

How I got my stupid fridge to work again. Normally, I press/hold the blue button till it chimes. Well that didn’t work this time. Darn. I re...